Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Geo Game & Text Messaging Idea #iteach

OK, it is 3:00 on December 23rd, with 20 minutes before Christmas break. Why do all my most creative ideas happen when I know I won't be able devote energy to them for at least 2-5 days? Grrr!

So, here is my big Eureka!:

Two tools I have know about for a while now but have not given too much thought to are uMapper and JotYou. uMapper allows you to create your own Google Map-like embeddable maps with pushpin markers and other information. JotYou is a free text messaging service that allows you to send text messages that are location based. Basically, JotYou lets you send messages to anyone on your contact list who is within so many feet/meters/yards of a specific GPS coordinate. It also lets you set times on those messages so they are delayed or persistent. These two tools used in conjunction could be used to create highly engaging geo games.




Here are just a few, off the top of my head, applications:
  1. Create an adventure based on a piece of literature (ex. Turn your school grounds into Mordor).
  2. Historical tour.
  3. Scavenger hunts.
It is now 3:15 and I need to go. If you can think of any other creative uses of these two tools please leave a comment.

1 comment:

Mrs. Tenkely said...

Now that sounds like fun! The idea for turning the school grounds into a giant literary hunt would be awesome. I want to go to there.